Friday, February 17, 2017

I Didn't Break My Pinkie Promise!

See! I promised I would write again about what I do today at my internship site, and I haven't failed you (yet). Today, I sat in on a public affairs meeting at the Chamber. Arizona Senator Kimberly Yee came in and started off the meeting by discussing the 2017 Senate Majority Program. This program exists in hopes that it can serve as a framework of objectives to create opportunity and prosperity in Arizona. One of the most important goals of this program is to foster economic development and job growth, something Arizona has been very good at in recent years! Another important goal is to develop a strong education system. This involves the recent Prop 206 debate of rolling out funds for the prop and so on. This same idea goes hand in hand with a structurally balanced budget (another goal of the program) that can focus on K-12 education. Alongside this, Sen. Yee briefly discussed the idea of rewarding teachers who travel long distances to teach with bonuses, something Governor Doug Ducey supports.

One thing that caught my attention during Sen. Yee's talk was her discussion of voting and elections. She recounted her experiences during last year's elections in which the waiting lines to vote itself were so long that people were actually deterred from voting. It was interesting because people were actually much more involved in the recent election than in previous years, but despite their passion, the elections remained inaccessible to them. Sen. Yee spoke to the idea that a reform of the voting system is something that the Majority Program hints at significantly.


I'll end with one last tidbit of interesting information. During the meeting, the Chamber discussed the recent hot topic of Arizona's disability laws. Senator John Kavanagh and Representative Maria Syms have introduced legislation to tackle the problem of unnecessary lawsuits. In the last year, businesses faced several lawsuits claiming a violation of the Arizonans with Disabilities Act. These lawsuits usually result in huge payouts for the suer because, I imagine, of the sensitive nature of disability legislation. Sen. Kavanagh and Rep. Syms introduced two bills that would help combat this issue. Senate Bill 1198 tries to tackle the issue by giving businesses 60 to 90 days to fix compliance issues with the Disabilities Act. The bill would make it so that lawsuits can only be filed if businesses don't make any move to correct their violation of the law. House Bill 2504 focuses on the actual attorneys. It would allow courts to fine those who sued businesses just for the payout. 1198 is a pretty controversial bill at the moment, but people seem to be responding somewhat favorably to 2504. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.


Now onwards to my research! I plan on surveying the general public, elected officials, and lobbyists themselves about their perceptions surrounding the role and importance of lobbyists. The survey will probably contain seven to ten questions with short vignettes detailing a lobbyist’s work followed by a numbered scale from one to ten. The participant would then rate his/her perception of the lobbyist (one being “very displeased” and ten being “very appreciative”). More obscure stories will be given to lobbyists and legislators participating in the survey to minimize bias in their responses. At the end of the survey, participants will be asked to rate their overall understanding and impression of lobbyists along with their opinion of how significant they believe lobbyists are to the legislative process. The survey will also ask lobbyists how they believe they will be rated by the public.

So far, I have gathered a few anecdotes about lobbyists that I plan on using in the survey, but I'm still on the hunt for more obscure stories for the lobbyists and elected officials. Hopefully, I will be able to release a survey for the general public very soon. So look out for that. And make sure you take that survey! Because that would be nice and helpful. Unless you want to be unhelpful. In which case, I don't really know what to say to you.


Don't be that person.

Oh! And I hope you all have been enjoying the "What Day Is It?" section (to the right) that I've been writing/updating every day. With pictures. Just for you. In the wee hours of the morning. All to make your day happier. So be very grateful. 😁

Anyways, have an awesome weekend and see you next week for another funtastic post! Get it? Funtastic? Like fantastic except more fun? Ok, I'll stop now.

16 comments:

  1. Hello fellow intern in politics! I was just wondering if things are as crazy for you at the the Chamber of Commerce as they are for me at Senator Flake's office. From what I've read, it sounds pretty chill, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello politics buddy! Unfortunately, I don't get yelled at while answering phone calls from angry constituents, though I'm sure that's very exciting. And it probably helps you bring some really interesting stories home ;). For me, the only crazy-time was just that I had to run around a lot and pay attention and give myself a massive writer's bump. But other than that, it's not that hectic. If I had to do the work my mentor and his coworkers do, that definitely would be hectic, but that's another story altogether...also, I've been following your blog and it sounds really cool! I hope you're having a great time!

      Delete
  2. Hi Shreya! Sounds like you are having an amazing time at the Chamber of Commerce! These laws sound really interesting! Is the House Bill 2504 for all attorneys and all businesses, or is it specifically for disability cases? Also, what makes bill 1198 controversial? What are people arguing about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brent! HB2504 specifically tweaks disability laws so that attorneys/plaintiffs don't just sue to line their pockets. For SB1198, it has been widely criticized by disability rights groups because of what they call the "cure period." They say that the bill would punish people with disabilities by having them tolerate businesses' unethical behavior for 90 days instead of targeting the unscrupulous lawyers themselves. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Hi Shreya!

    It looks like you are having a wonderful time on-site! Do you know what the biggest issue or whats causing the most controversy with 1198? Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anjalee! SB1198 has been widely criticized by disability rights groups because of the "cure period" that the bill gives companies. They say that the bill would punish people with disabilities by having them tolerate businesses' unethical behavior for 90 days instead of targeting the unscrupulous lawyers themselves. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Shreya! What are your opinions on the whole process of the meetings? Do things go smoothly? I think a big part of public discontent towards politicians is that they feel that nothing gets done. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stirling! I think things do go pretty smoothly. I don't know about politicians and elected officials themselves (because these meetings are filled with mostly lobbyists for the Chamber), but things do get done efficiently at the Chamber. I feel like the meetings are sort of an update for the Chamber itself about the House and Senate bills that are being put up that week. I've only been to one of these meetings so far, so I don't think I know enough to really say what the nature of these meetings is. However, I do think, based on what I've seen so far, that the Chamber is really good at what it does and the meetings speak to that. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Hi Shreya! Really interesting post! I especially liked reading about your experiences in the political affairs meeting. With regards to the 1198 Senate Bill, what are the sides to the controversy; Is it the time limit, or the general grace time given to businesses? (I'm just curious) With regards to your project, do you have a certain set number for the people who you want to take your survey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anirudh! The issue people have with SB1198 is that disability rights groups don't like the "cure period" that the bill gives companies. They say that the bill would punish people with disabilities by having them tolerate businesses' unethical behavior for 90 days instead of targeting the unscrupulous lawyers themselves. For my project, I don't have a set number of people I would like to take my survey; I'm just hoping to get as many participants as possible! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hi Shreya,
    your blog is always entertaining because of the pictures and gifs. I was just curious as to how you were going to choose the people to question? Will it be mostly other lobbyists or mostly citizens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael! I'm so glad you find the blog entertaining. For my research, I will be making two surveys: one for the public and one for lobbyists/politicians. My goal is to get the surveys out to as many people as I can, so if there are more lobbyists/politicians taking the survey than just citizens, that would just be an unintentional result of the research. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shreya! I was reading through your post and the survey sounds like a great idea. I have a couple questions: You seem to think that society mostly doesn't know what lobbyist do and how important they are. But what is your perception of lobbyists? If you could change anything at all about the lobbyist system to improve it in your view, how would you change it? Good luck with your survey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marvin! I think lobbyists are important in the legislative process to make sure government isn't as slow-moving a body as it's expected to be and to keep legislators informed about bills and such. The only issue with the lobbyist system as I've seen so far comes in the form of the few lobbyists who act dishonorably for their own monetary (or otherwise) ends. What I have a problem with is that society tends to view lobbyists through the mold of these dishonorable ones and that seems very unfair. So I wouldn't change the lobbyist system per se, but I would change society's perception of lobbying itself. Which is what I intend to do through my research, so your question pretty much hit it on the nail! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hi Shreya. I like how you included a detail description of what you did this week, along with comparing two propositions for instance. Although, were there any specific ways that Sen. Yee hinted that it may be reformed? Also, did she mention whether or not this could have caused a change in the result of the election or was this a more minor than that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex! I assume you're talking about the voting system issue, in which case, Sen. Yee mainly talked about the idea of fixing the problem so that everyone who wants to vote can actually vote. However, she didn't discuss any specific ways to reform the system. I guess that's a discussion to have with other legislators too...it might even get one of them to sponsor a new bill for this. Who knows? And she didn't mention whether this could have influenced the election results, so I don't really know the magnitude of this problem, but that would be interesting to look into. Good question!

      Delete